Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Genesis

In the course of our work we spend a lot of time traveling around the Adirondacks and occasionally going into churches to quote on work. I love the architecture of these  houses of worship, the vernacular quality, the sometimes unexpected detail and what all this says about the people of the various parishes, of the  Adirondacks, but also of the changes in the way people think of themselves and the world around them as expressed through some of the most prominent buildings in their communities.

 At some point I got the idea that it would be an interesting project to document all the churches within the Blue Line in a one year period. I started taking pictures of some of these structures with the intent of doing a book, a set of portraits of those buildings; but I'll never get to a book with all my other projects so I'm starting this blog in order to put this information somewhere that may be useful to someone in the future.

So here is my first church. No particular reason for this church except that it was the first I came across on my hard-drive. My intent is to simply post a picture of the building as it exists now. These are not intended as portraits; I'm not trying to pretty these up, I want to show the power-lines, the cars the roadside trash, whatever is there at the time.

 My hope is that others will add information about these structures.


This is the Linwood Baptist Church in the Town of Hadley or maybe Day near Stewart Pond and the Conklingville Dam in northern Saratoga County. Photo taken October 25, 2008.

1 comment: