Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Stony Wold Hall


Stony Wold Hall (1909)  (photo October 20 2007)

Stony Wold Sanatorium was built on Lake Kushaqua in 1903.  SWH, built in 1909, was a multi-purpose building including both Catholic and non-Catholic space for worship. In the 20's a space was provided for Jewish worship.

In the 70's  the sanatorium was bought by NY State and included in the Forever Wild ADK Park. SW Hall is all that remains. Now a private residence.

At this point I should acknowledge a tremendous resource for anyone interested in Adirondack Churches and their history:  Adirondack Churches  by Sally E.  Svenson, Adirondack Architectural Heritage, 2006.

I came across this book some time after my initial idea of photographing ADK churches and other houses of worship and was incredibly thankful that someone had done the real research that was beyond my ability and my intent.  I will resort to this book on occasion for identifying churches that have gone on to other uses. But if you want real, well researched detail you will buy this book!

1 comment:

  1. http://www.lostrelics.ecrater.com/p/17053456/old-church-chapel-lake-kushaqua

    I have a postcard of this for sale if interested.

    Thanks, Jim

    ReplyDelete